Monday 6 October 2014

all change


We put the garden furniture away in the summer house before the rain came. Afterwards, in an effort to look forward, I went out and bought bulbs: fragrant narcissi, miniature blue iris, snowdrops, white crocus, flame orange tulips. They are all tucked up now waiting for spring sunshine. Later, we went to the steam fair which visits every year at the end of summer. I watched MissM chase MrM on the dodgems and realised that all that money on driving lessons was not wasted. It was time to close the curtains when we got home and we ate roast chicken and plum crumble by candlelight, surprised that the hot sugary fairground doughnut had not spoiled our appetites. I don't dislike autumn or winter, it is the period of change that is unsettling.

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely photo. You paint a lovely picture of a chilly autumn evening. I know what you mean about the period of change, I think I am happier once winter is here and I've got used to the fact. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should write a book.
    It would then make a great movie.
    I know it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a lovely way to spend the day! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second Paola. I love your writing and this is particularly evocative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh but change is good... think how boring it would be without change...

    Panta Rei...

    ReplyDelete
  6. take it easy, drink tea, breathe, you will get used to it x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the changing seasons...especially here in Melbourne where we can get all four seasons in one day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the change-over period, it is the dull and dismal never ending winter that I dislike.

    I haven't been to a fun fair for the longest time...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.