Saturday 31 December 2011

Horizon

I take these photos in a moment
but then spend weeks wondering
which order to publish them in.
Right to left? Left to right?

It is a good metaphor for my year.
I have alternated between
looking back and looking forward,
between a painful sense of loss
and anxious anticipation of the future.

I need to learn
to accept the present
but I have never been good
at standing still.

"Every horizon,
upon being reached,
reveals another
beckoning in the distance.
Always, I am on the threshold"

W. Eugene Smith

10 comments:

  1. Wishing you a Happy New Year!
    with you in the flux.

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy new year to you Alice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being able to choose how we view things is an important gift, no?
    Happy New Year, Alice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For Mr M -wv ovelundi. ||Having learnt from a crossword the oloroso can be spelt aloroso I can only assume we must hail Monday as being a great new start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Usually I am like you, uncertain whether I am happy or sad when a year leavs us but this year I am definitely looking forward to putting 2011 behind.
    And not look back either.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that you will be cheered by the New Year. Greetings to the family M!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing you a New Year full of Good and Delicious things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look forward - there is no tangible past to grasp. Memories are sweet but fleeting. So maybe that is an argument for the here and now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. may 2012 bring you what you need x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.