Thursday 4 November 2010

the world comes to me

Septentrionalium Terrarum descriptio
Map of the North Pole/Arctic
Mercator (1595)


The brilliant young ice scientist from Denmark
is visiting to give his annual lecture.

He tells me about the silent ice world that he works in,
flat, white and bright with constant daylight.
After a while you lose track of time
and the only thing that breaks the monotony
is the wild party that is organised every Saturday.
The scientists set to with chainsaws and create an ice bar
which is loaded up with an impressive amount of alcohol,
the musk ox steaks start sizzling on the barbecue
and then the party begins.

If his outrageous Nigella impression
is a glimpse into Saturday night life on ice
it would be serious fun to be around.

In my next life I am going to be an ice scientist.

6 comments:

  1. Brrrr!!!! You'll definitely need your woolly combinations then :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely insight you give into other people's lives............. sigh........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh. Those Danes know how to party (I lived there as a young 18 year from the other side of the world).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if they do iced tea ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely Long Island Iced Tea, they make ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Watch out for frostbite, although I think the amount of alcohol consumed may help with that ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! I love reading your comments and even though I don't always have time to reply I am really grateful to every one who joins in the conversation.